Thursday, January 1, 2015

Leelah's Song: Part I

Do you know the name Leelah Alcorn? After her death, Leelah has received a lot of attention both on social media…and in more traditional news sources. Because that’s how news works, we don’t report on it until it’s a tragedy.

Leelah Alcorn, born Joshua Ryan Alcorn (abcnews.go.com), was a transgender teen who reportedly was hit by a truck, according to mother Carla Alcorn on Facebook. What’s getting attention is the fact that Leelah left behind what can easily be construed as a suicide note. In part it reads:


“The life I would've lived isn't worth living in…because I’m transgender.”

I am not a pro-suicide spectator. I use the word “spectator” with absolute deliberateness because, until today, I never wrote a word on being transgender. I have no right to, to any expert extent.

Still, I decided in my teens that suicide is the “easy way out,” and that people that use that road are selfish. I won’t lie, I feel the same about Leelah. Before you call me an absolute asshole though, here’s my reason why. Her story will inspire thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of transgender people to clamor for righteousness. Then, when the media tires of her story, she will fully and truly die out, minus the hearts of those she touched. She passed the torch for someone else to carry, instead of staying diligent, staying here to continue telling her story until somebody fucking listened. I don’t agree with Leelah’s suicide not because I hate her, or because she’s transgender, but because she wasn’t brave and noble enough to realize her issue went far beyond herself. She can’t help anybody now, not in a physical sense.

Do I understand why she would commit suicide? Absolutely. I contemplated suicide as a straight, white teen. I can’t begin to imagine the pressure of coming out to your parents, especially when you do and they react negatively. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, more than two million teens either commit or attempt suicide in the US each year. That’s a lot of people thinking the world is too fucked up to handle anymore.

So, I’ll be one those who picks up the torch Leelah left behind. Because she fell, she dropped it and this is a fire that needs to continue burning.

James, if you aren’t a transgender, and you barely have a stake in the struggle, what gives you the right to comment on any of this?

I’m  commenting because it’s important to my personal friend, a transgender himself...and the friends we have together. I am putting forth my opinion because, when I see pain, I feel empathy. I’m bothering because I really don’t want my friend to end up another tragic story for the news to carry for a couple of weeks.

It’s time to put away the bullshit we use to tear each other down, and start working together to keep tragedies that can be avoided from happening. We’re all human regardless of race, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, or sexual identification. Worry less about the labels, and remember that every one of us is connected. Take care of others, and in so doing, you’re  taking care of yourself.

Just so you know, there is a “Stand Up 4 Leelah Candle Vigil being held January 2nd, 2015, in
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/leelah-alcorn-vigils-across-tri-state-remember-kings-mills-transgender-teen
List of Vigils for Leelah Alcorn
association with the Facebook group Have a Gay Day. I was notified by invitation, unfortunately, I can’t seem to link to it. Do a search and you should find it no problem. Thanks for reading, and please, take care of each other.

James Neal is a freelance writer and artist currently looking for an entry level J-O-B in the medical field. Be sure to subscribe to American Dirt, leave your comments, and follow James on Social Media where he tries to remain fairly active:

Facebook: James Neal

Twitter: @BloodandBlade


Google+: +James Neal

No comments:

Finale

I'm Retiring American Dirt Hey everyone. James here. This is my final post on American Dirt. It's been a long ride full ...