Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Stop Demonizing Me for Being a White Male

Stop. No stop it. That’s not even fair just stop!

Not exactly exhilarating arguments, are they? In fact, the words above sound like my five year old arguing with his older sister. The end result will be the same: you’ll laugh at me if that’s all I bring to the table for this debate.

Image is property of Square Enix 
However, from everything I've been reading about “white privilege,” and everything I'm hearing about what, specifically white, straight, men, should say, these are the words we are left with to regurgitate without stepping on anybody’s toes.

I’m about to step on some toes.

From fem-nazi rhetoric to #BlackLivesMatter, I'm constantly barraged with how evil and patriarchal I am towards all groups outside of the Straight White Male Club. As I read article after article about all my supposed white privilege for being part of the SWMC, I discover I am part of rape-culture, though I've never touched a woman who didn’t consent, nor thought to. Me, specifically, because the author knows me in such a fucking intimate manner he knows my inner thoughts and processes (we've never met or spoken). Or this one, who apparently thinks that we are in the same boat because WHITE MAN!

I will say this: white, straight, males with money are highly privileged. Absolutely. So are black men with money. So are women with money. Mexican/Latinos, Spanish, Asians, Russians, and politicians with money have all kinds of privileges.

I'll also say that any kid who graduated from Howard University was pretty fucking privileged too. Let’s look at women’s colleges. I'm pretty sure anybody with a vagina has a better shot of getting into any of those schools than I ever did. Me, the white straight male that can do whatever the fuck he wants. Look, my point isn't that there shouldn't be black schools or women’s universities. I am saying, check your fucking privilege. I am saying that money buys a lot…color and gender have very little to do with what money can attain. And I'm also saying that you are not out in the dark, left cold to die in barren, lifeless nothingness just because you aren't the SWMC.

Stop demonizing me. I'm a fun guy to talk philosophy with. I'm easygoing and overall a passive fella. I make comic art from Minecraft skins. I wrote a fantasy novel and short story. Yeah, I have faults, and I’ve had thoughts that don't fit into the narrow, twisted corridors of words I am or am not allowed to say. I’m allowed that. I’m allowed an opinion that’s different from your opinion of what utopia could be. These are the thoughts that make life beautiful and fun and diverse…as well as dark and shitty and scary. We aren't allowed utopia. We have Earth, and it will be whatever we can manage to make it. We all make it a great place…and we're all guilty of causing somebody at least a little hell.


So stop. No, stop it. That shit’s not even fair.

No comments:

Finale

I'm Retiring American Dirt Hey everyone. James here. This is my final post on American Dirt. It's been a long ride full ...